Victory Farm Volunteers

The Victory Farm Volunteer program was an emergency mobilization of America's youth to help with the labor shortage on the ranches and farms due to the war. It began in 1943, and was still active in 1947.

"Many boys and girls are proudly wearing a new emblem on their sweaters this Fall.

Look for the big C with the letters VFV in the center.

The C indicates that this group is a youth branch of the United States Crop Corps, and the letters VFV stand for Victory Farm Volunteers."






Victory Farm Volunteers, along with the Women's Land Army and other programs, was run by Federal and State extension services during World War II to help meet the need for emergency farm labor. VFV "was primarily for the nation's youth; it employed high school and college students during summer vacations. In some areas, vacation periods were adjusted to coincide with periods of greatest need for seasonal labor." Gladys Baker et al. Century of Service: The first 100 years of the United States Department of Agriculture. (Washington: 1963), p. 310.















Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts would stay at the local Scout Camps during the summer and spend their days working at the local farms as Victory Farm Volunteers